Only 48 LEED-Certified Buildings in Montreal
Of the 172 properties on the island of Montreal that are publicly registered as LEED projects, only 48 are certified.
LEED stands for “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design.” To become certified LEED, buildings have to meet adapted Canadian versions of the US Green Building Council’s rating system for water efficiency, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. Buildings can attain base certification, silver, gold or platinum levels.
The Canadian Green Building Council maintains a database of all certified properties in Canada on its website at www.cagbc.org.
Buildings that haven’t yet certified vary. Some properties, like the two new superhospitals and the University of Montreal’s biodiversity building on Sherbrooke, are still in construction.
Others—like City Hall, the Sun Life Building and Hydro Quebec’s head office—were completed years ago. Although they registered under the LEEDs program, they never received certification.
Among the certified Montreal island projects, 15 are residential units, 19 are commercial, four are within universities, eight are non-profit and three are government buildings. Some of the 58 additional projects that remain confidential, even in terms of location, may also be in Montreal.
The certified commercial buildings on the island are:
- Schluter Systems Canada in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue;
- Le Vistal I at 150 chemin de la Pointe Sud;
- Pointe Nord at Northern Tip of Nuns’s Island in Montreal;
- Centre CDP Capital at 1000 Place Jean-Paul-Riopelle;
- GKC Architects offices at 7275 St.;
- Rolf C. Hagen Inc. in Baie d’Urfée;
- La Maison de l’OACI / Place de la cité internationale at 999, University; and
- TOHU (previously Chapiteau des Arts) at 2345, rue Jarry Est.
- PEAU – esthétique médicale at 3550, Cote-des-neiges;
- Fidelity Montreal at 1000 Rue de la Gauchetiere;
- Banque Nationale in Lachine;
- Groupe Montoni Bâtiment B & C in St-Laurent;
- Gaz Métro, 1717 rue du Havre;
- GE Capital at 1250 René Lévesque ouest;
- Bell Centre;
- First Capital – RBC;
- VF Outdoor Canada Head Office in Saint Laurent; and
- Outdoor Gear Canada (OGC) in St-Laurent.
Air Transat Head office at 5959 Cote Vertu ouest.
- Place du Canada at 1010, West de la Gauchetière;
- IGA Rivière-des-Prairies at 12285, boul. Rodolphe Forget;
- SITQ Inc. at 1000 rue De La Gauchetiere ouest; and
- 1253 McGill College.
Canada Green Building Council National Office
47 Clarence Street, Suite 202
Ottawa, Ontario K1N 9K1
Media number: 613-288-8075 cell 613/894-7772
About the Author
Tracey Arial helps Canadians grow with notable nonfiction and urban agriculture.